Tooth gems are tiny crystal, or metallic decoration attached to the tooth using dental composite. Also known as tooth jewelry or tooth decoration.
How long will the tooth jewel last? Anywhere from 6 months up to 24 months.
What is tooth gem aftercare?
- Don't touch the crystal.
- Don't eat for one hour after crystal is applied, you may drink immediately.
- Only eat soft foods for the first 12 hours.
- Don't brush your teeth for 12 hours.
- If you will be using an electric toothbrush, wait for 24 hours before brushing.
1. Can you still receive routine teeth cleanings/whitening?
Yes. If your concerned about any routine checkups with your orthodontist, you should do this 1 week before treatment.
2. Do I need to be at least 18 to have this treatment?
Yes, we only apply tooth gems to individual 18-years old, or older. Please be ready to present a valid ID at the time of your service!
3. Can I feel the gem on my tooth?
The jewels are only 0.4mm or 0.9mm thick and 1.8mm to 3mm in diameter. Initially, something on your tooth will feel different, but a few days after the application, you will get used to the new feeling.
4. Can I still receive tooth gems with fake teeth or vaneers?
Unfortunately, the bonding agent will only attach to natural tooth tissue.
5. Can I brush my teeth normally?
The presence of the tooth jewelry will not make any difference regarding dental hygiene. However, it is recommended not to use an electric toothbrush & wait 12-24.
6. What if I swallow the tooth gem in the event it falls off?
The jewels are tiny glass crystals or gold. They have no sharp edges. It will come out "the natural way" the same as it went inside your body.
7. Will the tooth gem harm my tooth?
When properly placed on a natural tooth, the jewelry will not damage or harm your tooth in any way.
8. Does the application hurt?
Not at all. The procedure is similar to placing an orthodontist bracket on a tooth. The procedure is painless.
9. What if I have Invisalign? Can I have this done?
No, invisalign would be placed on your tooth & would not fit with the gem on your teeth. Your straight teeth are more important!
10. Would like to remove your Gems?
If you would like to remove your tooth gem it can be taken off by your dental professional at any time. The tooth will be polished to remove any remaining bonding material.